The COSI Science Festival invites you to join in the fun and showcase the STEAM occurring in your organization.
CSF Community Events...
Come in many formats:
Small, intimate events such as nature walks or a tour may attract a half dozen people, well known speakers or high profile events may attract thousands. No event is too large or too small for the COSI Science Festival.
Are produced by many different groups and individuals:
The COSI Science Festival relies on businesses, organizations, museums, cultural and educational institutions, scientists, engineers, designers, and technologists to contribute content to programs, host events, and create STEAM projects during the COSI Science Festival. Join us in our effort to develop high-impact programs that elevate science literacy in our community and beyond. Collaboration is key to the success of the COSI Science Festival.
Celebrate STEAM concepts:
Ultimately, COSI Science Festival events share several common bonds. Festival events celebrate science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics and their impacts on our world. Festival events are fun, engaging, and demonstrate that science is everywhere and for everyone. We believe something really special happens when people come together to inspire their community through creative collaboration.
Interested in hosting an event?
The application window has been extended to March 4th, 2024. Explore more below.
Benefits of Participation:
In 2023, the COSI Science Festival saw over 40,000 attendees, and a thorough evaluation indicated the attendees gained an increased appreciation for STEAM and a broadened view of STEAM career options.
Increase Community Visibility
Gain New Audiences
Ohio loves the COSI Science Festival, with tens of thousands of yearly attendees. Our vision is to engage, inspire, and transform lives, making STEAM learning accessible to all. COSI serves as a hub for families, teachers, and students, equipping them with the tools and knowledge for lifelong learning. We aim to create a STEAM-literate community that can thrive in the digital economy and tackle 21st-century challenges. Our goal is not just about increasing attendance; it’s about connecting individuals with the idea that science is part of everyone’s work and celebrating the benefits it brings to our lives.
Connect with Science, Cultural, and Educational Institutions
Event Host Timeline:
One of the primary goals of the COSI Science Festival is to make sure that quality science engagement opportunities take place all throughout Central Ohio. In order to expand the reach of the Festival, geographically diverse organizations are needed to host events that fall into the categories below.
Be A Scientist Series: Host an event at your location displaying the cool STEAM you do! Be A Scientist events provide behind-the-scenes access to the region’s labs, nature centers, museums, and more to learn what STEAM experts do on a daily basis – all while having fun!
Want more in-depth information?
View our COSI Science Festival Partner Guide
Produce an event:
Events, no matter their size, can make a significant impact on an attendee. What’s an important topic related to your organization’s mission that you’d like to convey?
We typically recommend hosting events after school hours, but ultimately the time, topic, and format are up to you. What aligns with your organization’s goals and your audience? We encourage new ideas, but something you could repeat may also be a great fit.
Promote your event and the overall festival:
Once you know what to do, it’s important to tell people about it. COSI will send you a toolkit to help advertise, but event hosts should work with COSI to promote their event, including social media posts, email social media, and posting signage.
Complete necessary paperwork:
While applying is easy, there are a few key steps in the application process. As we approach the COSI Science Festival, it is critical that you meet timeline deadlines. Receiving the information needed for your event will help us both advertise your event to the public.
- Event subject matter should showcase your organization’s mission and what you’re passionate about. Ultimately this is decided by you, but we’re willing to provide as much feedback as you’d like. We guarantee there’s something cool, regardless of the industry.
- Science, technology, engineering, art, and/or mathematics should be a significant component of the event. We encourage you to think outside the box and try something you haven’t done before, but also consider what has worked well in the past.
- Host accepts all responsibility for the event, including organization, content, staffing, costs, etc.
- In person events are typically located in Ohio. Virtual events are also perfectly accessible. Have an idea for something that isn’t in Ohio? Let’s talk! – [email protected]
- Event should occur during the COSI Science Festival, however events that begin prior to the Festival but culminate during the Festival may also be acceptable. Events should not occur on the last day of the festival during the Big Science Celebration at COSI.
- Event should be accessible to the general public. Free events are encouraged, but free events with admission are acceptable. Keep transit, time of day, and parking in mind as you plan.
- Free events are encouraged. If they are ticketed, it is to cover production costs only. Typically we aren’t able to support events that are fundraisers for other causes.
- Host agrees to promote the event as a COSIScifest event using marketing materials provided by the COSI Science Festival.
- Host agrees to provide COSI with requested feedback.
- Festival organizers may reject events that are determined to be excessively commercial. Festival organizers reserve the right to reject any event for any reason.
COSI Science Festival organizers work with hosts to maximize attendance and to ensure that every event meets Festival standards. To assist hosts, the Science Festival will:
- Promote events on the COSI Science Festival website as part of the online calendar.
- Promote events via the COSI social media feeds and through a statewide marketing campaign.
- Provide hosts with a COSI Science Festival branding tool kit such as event signage, advertising templates and the COSI Science Festival logo for use with print and electronic marketing efforts.
- Provide hosts with COSI Science Festival swag.
- Create a unique URL for hosts to use to promote events within their communities.
- COSI will send a COSI representative as available.
Need help with an event idea?
If you’d like to host an event but need an idea, we can help. The Festival team is happy to consult with members of your organization to discuss event possibilities and to connect you with like-minded STEAM professionals in your region. For more information, please contact: [email protected].